[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct - Cliff's Notes?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Oct 7 16:07:54 UTC 2014

Out of curiosity I peeked at the mythtv-dev mailing list and saw only one
thread (from Rich Freeman) asking about this shutdown, and one response
from Stuart Morgan, a mythtv developer. The link is here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/576141#576141 Effectively
it sounds like they were caught flat-footed by this shutdown, and his
preferred solution is for "someone" to create an XMLTV grabber as a
replacement for the current DataDirect feeds. He didn't elucidate any plans
for changes to mythtv to deal with the shutdown.

I also peeked at the forums but didn't see *any* threads (in the "active"
forums I looked at) discussing this shutdown. I think there are going to be
a lot of unpleasantly surprised mythtv users in the first weeks of November
(I predict a big surge in mythtv-users subscribers and multiple repeats of
the same question/complaint). It might be nice if the mythtv.org website
maintainer(s) could put up an announcement with the (interim?) preferred
solution, which at this point is probably the DNS/hosts file change.

Karl