[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct - Cliff's Notes?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:51:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. There was discussion about a DNS change, such that users wouldn't have
>    to do anything. Last word on that was that it *wouldn't* happen due to
>    some political reasons (far beyond my pay grade.)

Any political reasons would almost certainly be at the
Tribune level in terms of their corporate split.  Who
got the dns delegation for tmsdatadirect.com matters
as to whom has to make the change (and whose
staff has to invest the efforts).  Currently tmsdatadirect.com
is provided by the dns<n>tribune.com name servers (and
tribune.com is the old media company I believe).
That delegation could change to gracenote name
servers, but would require agreement to do so.

Technical reasons, on the other hand, would have
to do with investment by the people doing the
dns support.  It is possible that there is no time
to complete the work before Nov 1 (although since
this has been in the works for quite some time, I
would have thought that it could have been planned
for).

I could certainly understand if the old media company
would not want to make a change for the new media
company without being paid to do so.

But I do agree that I have seen a comment that the
DNS change seemed unlikely.  Which means
gracenote is doing a disservice to their existing
customer base during this transition.  But such
is life.