[mythtv-users] new digital over the air compatible TV Card

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:24:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> Actually, you are correct that it is in the list. I didn't see it, because
> it wasn't listed under the V4L category, but rather under ATSC which was in
> the DVB category.

Yeah, I am not going to justify that taxonomy.  I presume it
is because ATSC is sort of the US DVB (and the LinuxTV
support is via the DVB apis).

> Also, in that same category, they also list the HDHR prime as supported, which is
> also odd, since I'm pretty sure it's not actually ATSC, but rather QAM only
> (either clear QAM or using a cablecard).

You are correct, if it is in there it should probably be
removed, or updated to indicate that it is only for
the US Cable QAM modulated channels (QAM is
a modulation, not a stream definition, just as 8VSB
is the modulation, and ATSC is the stream definition),
but for only usable with US Cable.  It, too, can use
the DVB api (via the interposer).  Sounds like another
taxonomy issue (the Prime is really for the US
(sort of) equivalent of DVB-C).  I am going to guess
(and it is only a guess) that whomever put it into the
wiki presumed that it did both ATSC and Cable
support.

A few years ago I recall some random discussions
to support OCUR tuners via DRI with an DVB api.
I guess that never proceeded (otherwise both the
HDHR Prime and the Ceton Infintv could be added
to a correct category).  I think what killed a lot of
interest was the reality of protected path.

> And I volunteered for nothing. For some reason I get the impression you
> somehow took offense to my post

No, I just try to encourage those that find wrong
information to update it, for the next person.
If one finds something wrong, it behooves oneself
to fix it, when you see it.  For you may never
go that way again (but someone else will).
Pay it forward.