[mythtv-users] Running MythTV on CentOS

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Oct 6 17:27:44 UTC 2014

On 10/6/2014 10:06 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> The case in point was that MythTV 0.27 changed to
> require Qt 4.8. RHEL 6 was fixed on Qt 4.6.  Some
> complexity was encountered (yes, one can run
> parallel Qt's, but it is not at all easy for most,
> although if one can borrow someone else's
> competence it is easier).  And the "preview" Qt 5
> available in RHEL was not adequate in all cases
> due to missing Qt 5 functionality in MythTV.

I've dealt with this for a long time in CentOS. The newer versions of Qt
have been compiled and have worked on whatever version of CentOS I've
been running. Qt 4.7 was compiled for CentOS 5. Stephen Collier has
compiled Qt 4.8 for CentOS 6. As I recall, it was just a matter of
removing the incompatible Qt packages with --no-deps before installing
the ones that Myth needed.

It was doable.