[mythtv-users] Running MythTV on CentOS

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Oct 6 15:26:42 UTC 2014

On 10/6/2014 3:54 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 06/10/14 03:49, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>
>> Changing subject to keep Gary happy. :)
>>
>> I'm not going to try to argue this. I'm not a dev and they get to do
>> what they want to do. I, the user, just have to figure it out. I just
>> want some stable software that I don't have to update all the time.
>>
>> Your point is well taken regarding frontends and backends. I would never
>> consider trying to run different versions of Myth. Let alone different
>> distros. *That* would be chaos.
>>
>> 27.3 *has* been compiled and packaged for CentOS 6, so I'm happy:
>>
>> http://scrpms.net/pub/RPMS/el6/
>>

> I've been running Myth under SL6 for some time and recently moved to
> master, using a specfile based on Richard Shaw's from rpmfusion.
>
> The scrpms repo appears to provide nvidia drivers with kmdls for
> current el6 kernels, but tuner support via atrpms uses code from 2011
> for kernels from 2013.

My frontends have been CentOS 6.3 for awhile here. I wasn't planning on
upgrading them during the transition to 27.3 so I *assume* Nvidia
shouldn't be an issue, should it? Does 27.3 require some new feature in
later Nvidia versions? My frontends are running Nvidia 302.17.

> My box doesn't have nvidia hardware and I get tuner support via the
> kernel-lt builds from elrepo.

As for "tuners" I'm only using a couple of HDHR Primes. I believe
support is built into the base mythbackend software.