[mythtv-users] How to Prevent Freeze When Starting Playback

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Oct 5 22:17:40 UTC 2014

On 4/10/2014 8:27 AM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> I have a combined backend/frontend and now an additional (separate)
> frontend, both running 0.27 on Mythbuntu. I have noticed with
> increasing frequency on both systems over the past several weeks that
> MythTV temporarily hangs when I start playing back a previously
> recorded show.
>
> To be a bit more specific, when I select the show I want to watch and
> click OK on my remote, playback often does not begin for a few
> seconds, and sometimes for as much as 45 seconds. I'd estimate that
> the frequency of the delay follows this pattern:
>
>  40% - No noticeable delay at all
>  30% - Delay of 3 seconds or less
>  15% - Delay of 3-5 seconds
>  10% - Delay of 5-10 seconds
>    5% - Delay of 10 seconds or more
>
> What I mean by "freeze" is that it continues showing the list of
> programs from which I selected (the video hasn't started playing yet)
> and the frontend no longer responds to input from the remote. In the
> extreme cases where it freezes for 20+ seconds, I start to doubt
> whether I'd actually hit OK in the first place, so I hit it again.
> Nothing happens, of course, until the program eventually starts
> playing and the system processes both clicks.
>
> Any idea what causes this delay and how I can eliminate it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

I have experience this since 0.25 (or maybe it was 0.26).
My FE's are also a SBE's, which has all recording storage folders
mounted by NFS (all my storage is located it MBE).  Video storage is not
mounted locally.  Files stored in "Video's" start instantly.

I recall a couple of months ago that JYA did some work to prevent this
slow down whilst using the myth:// protocol.