[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sun Oct 5 11:25:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> What exactly do you two mean by this? MythTV is the target or CentOS is the
> target? Of what?

CentOS aims to be a clone of RHEL for the most part.  The target
market for RHEL is not people running DVRs.  That was all I was
saying.

> I happen to host MythTV on CentOS. Finding the right repo for packages has
> been a problem. It was ATrpms. And now that some of the users have stepped
> up it still is.

That was my only point.  The folks at RedHat don't make it a priority
to have the latest MythTV builds in their repository.  If somebody
else is creating decent packages for it by all means using them.

> Why does it sound like the stability of Red Hat/CentOS is a *bad* thing for
> you? It sounds like you want to target the ever shifting sands of something
> like Fedora. A distro that demands updating once or twice a year.

I'm not knocking CentOS at all here.  If I was running a webserver it
would probably make perfect sense.

However, when you look at something like MythTV that starts to break
down.  If I'm running some ITX front-end with an Atom processor then I
need hardware video support if I want it to work at all.  That means
bleeding-edge Nvidia drivers unless I wait until they're practically
on clearance to buy the thing.  If the only application on it is
MythTV then it would be nice if MythTV were in the distro's main
repository.  And so on.  This just isn't RedHat's target market.

That is a bit less of an issue for the back-end, but if you want to
run CentOS on your back-end and not your front-end then you're going
to be constantly trying to keep the two in sync.  MythTV does not
guarantee compatibility between builds, and the database schema
version changes all the time.

But, to each his own.  :)

--
Rich