[mythtv-users] mceusb remote on USB3

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 02:29:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> Thanks very much for posting this.  It appears to me that there are a
>> couple of possible drawbacks to this approach:
>>
>> 1.  The 3.14.x kernel doesn't appear to be part of the main Ubuntu
>> kernel series, from looking at:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack.  This means that it
>> won't have had as much testing as the main line kernels.
>
> I'm a new *buntu user - I've always taken the DIY approach having used
> Gentoo for the last 10+ years (and still do on my server/backend). The
> mceusb fix is in the mainline kernel as of end April 2014 so 3.16 will not
> require patching.

Great, thanks.

>> 2.  Since the kernel is installed from a .deb package, you'll need to
>> manually track and install fixes (as opposed to a ppa, which will
>> automatically update).
>>
>> Since Ubuntu 14.10 is out soon, presumably there will be a Kernel
>> Enablement Stack for the 14.10 kernel, i.e. 3.16.  I assume that the
>> fix will be carried forward, so waiting for the KES would mean that we
>> get a better tested kernel (for Ubuntu) and automatic updates.
>
> My preference is for the LTS support which makes moving to 14.10
> questionable. If I patch until Jan next year (only 3 months by the looks
> of it) then the update to 3.16 kernel brings the correct fix anyway.

This isn't upgrading to 14.10, the KES allows LTS releases such as
14.04 to run with a newer kernel than the default in a supported
configuration, so you'd be running the 3.16 kernel in 14.04.

> Not having an option in the BIOS to run the xHCI ports in USB2 mode (or at
> least one that I've got to work) means that this is really the only option
> I have :(
>
> Its now unbroken so I won't be trying to fix it for a while.

I can understand that :-)    I'll stick with USB2 for now since I
don't have any USB 3 devices in the computer and wait for 3.16 (or
whichever is made available) through the KES.

Thanks again,
Alistair