[mythtv-users] Intel NUC DN2820FYKH frontend build

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sun Oct 5 00:34:10 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:
> On 01/10/14 21:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I still have to decide if I run mythbuntu on that (kinda easier) or
>>> install Gentoo (as I use on all my servers/laptops/etc ).
>>>
>> I used to use minimyth on a frontend and it drove me
>> nuts because it had its own way of doing everything and it wasn't
>> in-sync with Gentoo.
>

> For further improvement of Minimyth2 - may You pls give more details?
> I'll be happy to address those issues.

Being out-of-sync with Gentoo was the single largest issue, and that
is hardly something I could expect you to deliver on.  The only real
solution for something like that would be if the MythTV development
team did much more frequent releases so that instead of every distro
releasing fixes at random intervals we would all be more likely to be
in-sync.  However, that may be asking a bit much for a project of this
size, and the fact is that the fixes branch is very stable as-is.

Also, running my front-end on Gentoo helps me to test my packages on
another configuration.  The biggest pain for me was getting
lirc/nvidia/etc all configured correctly, which is one of the big
advantages of an all-in-one solution like Minimyth.

Please don't take my comment as a knock on Minimyth - it is a great
solution that I'd highly recommend for anyone.

>> In general mythtv does not guarantee
>> compatibility between different builds even within the same major
>> version.
>
> I must say my experience is opposite...
> I don't remember SINGLE situation when having issue - this issue root cause
> was within MythTV and FE and BE were conforming rule of the same major
> MythTV ver.
> I'm trying to say: as long as runtime environment is OK - distributed setups
> of MythTV on heterogeneous runtime environments works really well for me.

No argument there - it isn't THAT fragile.  However, by "guarantee
compatibility" I mean just that - the official position of the MythTV
developers.  I'm pretty sure their position is that all bets are off
if you start mixing and matching builds.  It may very well work fairly
often, but your mileage could vary.

--
Rich