[mythtv-users] Cablecard spec change undermining CCI Copy Freely flags

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 17:49:04 UTC 2014

On 11/29/2014 12:35 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> If what I'm reading there is accurate, it would seem CableLabs made a change
>> to their specification. Now, whenever a CCI 0x00 Copy Freely flag is
>> present, the cablecard is allowed to lie and report that there are actually
>> no CCI flags present. And Cisco has implemented this change in their latest
>> firmware (as of version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101).
> There was an (anecdotal) report that this change also impacted
> the Comcast X1 platform (perhaps their dlna in-home playback
> app?), the firmware was backed out in some cases, and that
> 1.5.3.1201 firmware has been released to "fix" it (the report, and
> the claimed resolution, were in single digit numbers, so there is
> a lot of ambiguity and possible mis-information here regarding if
> this is really the CCI=None and CGMS flagging issue). Have you
> been able to test the 1.5.3.1201 firmware?  (It is possible the
> 1201 firmware is a MSO specific (i.e. Comcast) fix pack, but
> WOW should be able to at least talk with Cisco about it if they
> have interest in dealing with future upgrades).  Apparently
> Comcast will be rolling it out across the footprint by early
> next year.  Individual requests for early access have apparently
> been granted.  I have no idea if WOW is easily able to do the
> same for you (or whether you would even want it done to you).

Gary

I am not following this - can you simplify it for me?

Are you saying (1) that Comcast will be rolling out something that will
allow me to once again record USA network and other channels on my Ceton
(channels that now have CGMS=copy once), or (2) that Comcast will be
rolling out something that prevents the entire country from recording
those channels? If number (1), how do I get the early access from
Comcast? Or am I missing the point here?

Peter