[mythtv-users] PCTV 292e DVB-T2

Chris Simmons cps-mythtv-users at corefiling.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 15:42:01 UTC 2014

On 25/11/14 15:46, David Matthews wrote:
> I have a DVBSky T9580 which has the same SI2168 tuner chip as the PCTV
> 292e.  Myth worked with the closed-source driver on DVB-T and DVB-T2
> but I found a problem when I tried the open-source driver. It would
> work only on DVB-T.
>
> I'm testing some patches to support DVB-T2 and it now works for me.  I
> followed the same approach as Myth currently uses to switch between
> DVB-S and DVB-S2.  If the "mod_sys" field in the dtv_multiplex table
> contains "DVB-T2" the driver is set to use DVB-T2 otherwise it is set
> to DVB-T.
>
> I haven't submitted the patches yet for two reasons.  First, the only
> way to set a multiplex to DVB-T2 is to manually enter the multiplex in
> the database.  I haven't done anything yet about mythtv-setup.  It
> needs some way to set the modulation to either DVB-T or DVB-T2 when
> entering a multiplex manually and also a way to do a full scan with
> DVB-T2. Secondly, I'm using the fixes-0.27 branch and I'd need to test
> with master before submitting the patches.  If anyone wants to test
> what I've done so far or take it over and finish it please let me know.
>
> David
I'd be interested in seeing your patch.  It looks like I'm not the only
one that would like to get it working and it would be good to share
effort.  I'd quite like to get HDTV back in time for Christmas even if I
have to hack it in ;)

I tried starting to hack it up with an eye to getting it working but no
joy yet.  I think the key minimum you need are

- Detect that its DVB-T2 capable somehow (I wasn't clear on whether its
sufficient to use FE_CAN_2G_MODULATION for T2 but a reply in this thread
suggests it is)
- For DVB-T2 use the v5 APIs to tune as per DVB-S2 and set the
DTV_DELIVERY_SYSTEM - store this in the database for T2 tuners too.

I'm not sure how tuning etc would work.  Some of the code refers to the
DVB bluebook and it seems like DVB-T2 might be completely different in
some respects but I rapidly got lost.  It would probably be sufficient
for a first cut if you could enter T2 transports manually, presumably it
could pick up the channels okay from there.

Cheers,

Chris Simmons.