[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase fails on mariadb

Darwin O'Connor doconno at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 21:50:23 UTC 2014

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:24:13 -0500
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase fails on mariadb
>
> On 11/25/2014 08:32 AM, Darwin O'Connor wrote:
>> I got mariadb to log and I found an assert is failing and mariadb
>> crashes.
>>
>> Here is the mediadb log: http://doconnor.homeip.net/mariadb.err
>
> Did you follow the instructions in the error messages
>
> InnoDB: If you get repeated assertion failures or crashes, even
> InnoDB: immediately after the mysqld startup, there may be
> InnoDB: corruption in the InnoDB tablespace. Please refer to
> InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/forcing-innodb-recovery.html
> InnoDB: about forcing recovery.
>

> Those instructions show how to start the server when it refuses to start
> (which isn't appropriate for you), but also--along with the error
> message itself--hint at the fact that corruption in InnoDB tables can
> cause server crashes.
>
> That said, really you shouldn't be using InnoDB tables for MythTV
> (except for the MythWeather tables), so MythTV shouldn't be tripping up
> due to any InnoDB corruption.  However, if you started using MythTV with
> a version of MythTV that was meant for use with MySQL versions that
> default to MyISAM but you used a MySQL/MariaDB version that defaults to
> InnoDB, your tables would have been created using the wrong storage engine.
>
> You could convert them or--since your schema definition is corrupt (at
> minimum, it's using InnoDB engine, but may have other unidentified
> corruption) and since your InnoDB tables may have corruption in them (as
> indicated by the crashes/error message/instructions--a better approach
> would be to do a partial restore of a complete backup (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
> ), then completely reconfigure MythTV.  Just make sure you're using a
> relatively current version of MythTV so you don't create InnoDB tables
> again.  This would fix both issues with one procedure (get rid of any
> corrupt InnoDB tables and create your schema using the MythTV-supported
> storage engine).
>
> Also, your MariaDB error log also shows some corruption in the
> mysql.event table (which may be related).  That should probably be
> fixed--which may require rather drastic measures (or, if not, a lot of
> research to figure out how to fix it).
>
> And, usually this type of problem (where a client's use of a
> client/server database causes a server crash) is due to compiling the
> client against a different version of the database libraries.  In this
> case, the "client" is the Qt-MySQL driver, so you may need to check that
> your Qt with MySQL support was built properly against the right MariaDB
> library versions and if not, recompile the drivers and/or Qt appropriately.

I forget to mention that I ran a repair and optimize on the database
and I even dumped and restored the database. After dumping and
restoring it worked better for a couple of days.

I manually switched the engine from MyISAM to InnoDB in hopes of
improving performance. Starting mythfrontend and doing various
when I was running myth on a Raspberry Pi. I did this about a year ago
and I there was a little performance improvement. It didn't cause any
problems until now.

I will work on switching it back to MyISAM.