[mythtv-users] digital card

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 04:21:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I recommend the HDHR Prime  with a cablecard.
>
> Just for the archives, while Canada providers use the
> exact same headends and STB as in the US, no
> known (to me) provider allows one to activate a
> CableCARD in a consumer device (but you can
> purchase your own STB and avoid rental fees).
> Different country.  Different rules.  Buyer beware.
>
> Last I knew, the hack used in Canada to record
> HD programs via a STB is the same as in the US,
> a HDPVR connected to the component outputs
> (firewire is also disabled on many/most boxes).
> As with all else, your particular experience will
> vary.
>
> If one needs a new sisyphusian task, write the CRTC
> and ask for CableCARD support by the providers.

I agree Gary, the border doesn't change much. I have been supplied with a
DCT700 motorola box and the channel change script likely came from your
half of the continent. For clarity, cable is for channels I can't pull in
with my antenna, namely Hamilton's CHCH Toronto's CITY and Global, and the
premiums (no HD's) I can't sing the praises of the OTA HD enough.