[mythtv-users] digital card

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Nov 24 22:03:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings Mythizens, my cable provider is finally kicking analog to the
> curb, which will render my PVR150 useless. If whomever had a PCI (notPCIe)
> digital TV tuner, collecting dust in a closet, I believe he said, still
> there collecting or if anyone else has a card they would like to sell,
> please contact me off list with details/specs. Thanks  Daryl
>
> Your PVR-150 is not completely useless. My cable provider killed off
analog about 5 years ago but I'm still using both inputs on my PVR-500 to
record shows. It is more complicated, though, because now you have to use a
cable box, and an IR blaster to change the channel. The upside is that
anything that the cable box can tune, you can record, including all the
premium channels. I doubt you'll have much luck with a digital TV tuner
unless it's a cablecard model, because most likely going digital also means
encryption and only cablecard devices can deal with that, and only with
certain providers (Comcast you can record most channels, Time Warner pretty
much only broadcast channels). Using the PVR-150 in conjunction with a
cablecard device might be a good option. As John Drescher mentioned the HD
Homerun Prime is a good choice and well-supported in Myth.

Karl