[mythtv-users] Using program.category_type column to find movies

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 10:20:27 UTC 2014

I've been looking at how I can easily identify which of my recordings are
movies when using MythFrontend. In Australia, the program data seems to end
up with programs with a program.category column of eg Comedy, Drama,
Western etc, and a program.category_type column of Movie.

I believe the program.category_type column is populated  by
mythfilldatabase looking at the <category> field in the xml file and
setting the 'category_type' column if the first, second or more xml file
<category> values match the special keywords 'movie', 'sports', 'series',
'tvshow'.

This is all well and good, but as far as I know, the program.category_type
column isn't presented in MythFrontend as a filter option. So what's the
point of this column if you can't search on it?

I'm thinking of running a script after mythfilldatabase which sets
program.category='movie' where program.category_type='movie'. Is this a
sensible idea, or flawed?