[mythtv-users] 5 Db rotate

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:10:13 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:57:27 -0500, you wrote:

> Db
> I am
> go
> the
> and
> >>>

> >> The only automatic backups done by the backend are when the schema
> changes,
> >> or for most users, when they upgrade. (I'd like to know if I'm wrong
> about
> >> that.)
> >>
> >> Like the other replies, I too use a cron script. So, I'd run it manually
> >> and see what the output says. Probably like this:
> >>
> >>     sudo /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database
> >>
> >> but your path/name may be different, so if the above doesn't work, look
> >> for the right answer in /etc/cron*/*myth* . Don't just run any file you
> >> find, look at its contents to be sure it's doing a backup.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bill

> >OK, so now I do find weekly mythconverg backups in
> >/media/storage/mythtv/db_backups, I was certain that folder was empty last
> >time I checked but there are five backups in there a week apart. How do I
> >make these daily? And how do I make them go to
> >/media/storage2/mythtv/Dropbox?
>
> As I already posted, in Mythbuntu just copy (or move) the
> /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database script from there to /etc/cron.daily
> to make the backups daily.  And see my modified
> /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-database script for how to add the --directory
> option for changing the directory it stores to.  I have both the daily
> and weekly backups, with the weekly ones going to the local hard
> drives and the daily ones going to another PC on my network.  If you
> have both daily and weekly backups, then they probably should be
> stored in different directories.
>
> I took a look at the source code of mythconverg_backup.pl, and if the
> backup directory is not specified on the command line with the
> --directory option, and is not specified in the ~/.mythtv/backuprc
> file with the DBBackupDirectory option, then the script looks up the
> database and takes the directory from the "DB Backups" entry in the
> storagegroup table.  If there is no "DB Backups" entry in the
> storagegroup table, it then looks up the "Default" entries in the
> storagegroup table and uses the first of those which actually exists
> as a directory as where the backups will go.  The "Default" entries
> are the storagegroups where you have specified your recordings are to
> be stored if you do not specify a specific storagegroup in your
> recording rules.

Thanks for the reply Stephan, I have looked into your adaptations of the
scripts, but unfortunately I don't read/write code very well at this point,
however I do think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that moving the weekly
script to the daily location, chmod'ng it and running it as SU will
accomplish my goal of having cloud available backups. I've directed them to
a Dropbox folder. Do you follow, and agree?   Daryl