[mythtv-users] Google Nexus Player as MythTV Frontend

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 03:10:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's forget about the format of the recordings for a moment - Assuming that
> all recorded content was H.264 (or something else that this device could
> handle), is it possible to get a full MythTV front end running on this
> hardware?

Trying to answer the question asked (not a different question).....

A "Full MythTV FrontEnd" is possible.  But it is not
likely RSN...

Now, the question is imprecise, but here are some
of the issues and ways to think about it.

The Nexus Player is a Android device.  While Android
does run a Linux kernel, it does not run a GNU user
space, which is what most people consider to be
(GNU/)Linux.  MythTV runs on (GNU/)Linux, and
workalikes.  That means things like a functioning
glibc, and qt.  Even porting/compiling the libraries
would not be enough, since MythTV itself does not
have support for the android video codec API.  Such
would have to be written.

An Android player is possible (some already exist),
but it will not be a "Full MythTV Frontend" without
(a lot) more work, since a "Full MythTV Frontend"
does not mean just playing video (otherwise the
XBMC player would be considered a "Full MythTV
Frontend").

There were some discussions that some future
(not designed, let along coded) MythTV Frontend
might be QML based.  About a year (or more) ago
there was work by an individual (since suspended)
to code some of the functionality on Android.  It
was an interesting first step.  But (lots) more work
required (likely including a number of prototypes
and false starts along the way to be thrown away).

Using the hardware to run GNU/Linux is also possible,
but such devices have locked boot loaders.  Ways
around that will no doubt exist, but it is likely to not
be for the faint of heart (unless JTAG debugging is
second nature).  The first ADT-1 root hack was
done via a kernel exploit, but that is not likely to be
long term sustainable.

Also (over a year ago) there was a question posed
on list regarding what is the absolute minimum
functionality for a "MythTV Frontend".  What are
you willing to have not exist or be supported?
Is one willing to give up all plugins?  To give up
theming?  If a "Full MythTV Frontend" means
everything, than the bar is high, and the time
frame for achievability is even longer.  If everyone
can start to agree to eliminate features in the
Frontend, I suspect we can get those commits
in RSN to delete those features, in order to
prepare for the future.  You job, should you
choose to accept it, is to define those deprecated
features.

On the other hand, $99 devices are getting faster
and more capable.  Even if the Nexus Player is
not the platform you are looking for, next years
(or the year after that) $99 device might be (your
countries inflation target may vary and influence
what $99 will purchase next year).

And that is the way to think about it all.