[mythtv-users] FE upgrade to support 4k TV

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:05:35 UTC 2014

+1 to Gary's comments. The notes in the footer for your model receiver
(Onkyo TX NR616) are as follows (I looked at this receiver myself not that
long ago):

>>>The TX-NR616 offers full 4K (4096 x 2160) upscaling of standard video
sources such as 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p.
>>>Note: 4K video playback requires a 4K-compatible TV. HDMI pass-through of
4K content from source devices is not supported. 4K upscaling of analog
video is only available at 480i.

So if you plan to keep your current receiver you need to output from MythTV
over HDMI at 480i/p, 720p, or 1080i/p on one of the standard HDMI inputs on
the receiver and let the receiver upscale, or else output 480i on the analog
input and let the receiver upscale. It cannot handle 4K on the inputs.