[mythtv-users] mythtv-backend service stops

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 20:03:02 UTC 2014

On 11/16/2014 06:43 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> Why would we suggest doing anything until we look at the
> /var/log/mythtv/mythtv-backend.log file? And why would we suggest

Because, when I experienced these symptoms, the backend would not log
anything because of the recent tightening of the logging-related
command-line parameters. So you need to eyeball the backend's output
when started manually.

> running the backend as root, instead of the user that it is configured
> to run as which in this case is the mythtv user (which I suppose would
> help if it's a permission issue, but how do you know if it's a
> permission issue if you don't look at any logs)?

Because that is exactly how it is being started by the init script. On
Ubuntu and derivatives the backend is not actually started as user
mythtv but as root. But it is instructed (by means of the --user
parameter) to drop privileges to user mythtv.

So my suggestion to the OP was to start the backend manually but to do
so in a way that matches as closely as possible how it is being started
by the init script.

Jan