[mythtv-users] HD-PVR dropped frames / MythTV AV glitches

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 04:47:18 UTC 2014

On 11/11/14 2:25 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> AFAIK no one has produced anything like a
> definitive list of what works well.  You could try wack-a-mole
> renting additional STBs to see if one works better than
> another (do not return your existing one until it is clear
> you can do better; there are some models of STB that
> once returned Comcast will never hand out again even if
> you ask really nicely).  But that really is a scatter shot
> approach.

Yeah, probably.  Though having a box that successfully does component
out plus firewire (for channel changing) makes me not really want to
push my luck.   Plus, I usually like to minimize my interactions with
Comcast.

> Just for the record, I presume you are using the HD-PVR
> for the "premiums".  On Comcast, an OCUR tuner is
> usually a better choice for anything other than the premium
> channels (digital all the way).

I've actually had my HD-PVR for quite a while... maybe before OCUR
tuners were viable for mythtv.  And yeah, I've got some premium
channels.  And I prefer to watch them when my schedule allows.   :)

-WD