[mythtv-users] System hangs occasionally

MythTV MythTV mythtvuser10 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:54:10 UTC 2014

Cpu(s): 50.2%us,  0.2%sy,  0.0%ni, 49.7%id,  0.0%wa, 0.0%hi,  0.0%si,
0.0%st
Mem:   2016896k total,  1892676k used,   124220k free, 7600k buffers
Swap:  2061308k total,   332452k used,  1728856k free, 1336528k cached

One other thing you might check is why this machine is swapping - take a
look at TOP and see which was processes are using the most memory.  I might
be misreading the above, but it looks like you are swapping 332mb when your
box hangs?  So your box might not really be hanging, it might be trying to
swap the very large memory intensive process back into memory from disk and
is having trouble doing that.

If you need more memory - I have found that adding it works well.

Also note the 1.3Gb of memory cached.

If you want to swap you might also consider where you have your swap
partitions mounted (aka the root disk pack or some other disk pack that
your keep your myth recordings on).