[mythtv-users] Channel sort/delete

Johan Van der Kolk johan.vanderkolk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:21:43 UTC 2014

> On 08 Nov 2014, at 19:37, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:
>
>> Make a list of the channels you want and the channel numbers you want to
>> assigb to them and write your own script based on this one
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script
>>
>> It basically hides all channels first, adds 10000 to the channel number,
>> then makes the ones you want visible again and assigns the channel
>> number of your choice to it.
>>
>> It's a bit of work to set it up for the first time, but after that you
>> just run the script every time you scan for new channels.
>
> There's a bit more to it than that.
>
> One way is hinted at on https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments
> Have one script per input, I'm assuming the OP has multiple inputs (sounds like 3 different sats), and hence the changes are a bit more complicated.
> So scan one input (one receiver), then run one script to move those channels out of the way. It need only be "set channum=channum+10000 where channum<10000"
> Scan the next one, and move those channels out of the way - eg move them up to 20,000+
> Ditto with the third.
> As long as you always scan te inputs in the same order then you've have your channels in predictable ranges.
>
> Lastly, run a script which organises the channels - delete stuff you definitely will never want, make invisible any that you don't want but might want to take a look through, and shift the ones you do want down to the low numbers - along with setting things like EIT on/off, xmltv ids, etc.
>

> The more complicated way means taking account of input number - I think it's sourceid on the table. So you can do things like :
> update channel set <stuff> where sourceid=1 and callsign=<something>”

Yes, its 3 satellites.

The solutions are good, once you know which channel is which. Right now I would have to guess if ITV mean "Italian TV" or something else (just an example, I know the answer) or which NGC is in English and not in French, so I have to check each channel (by tuning, watching, and mark for removal/keeping).
Looking at this chart: http://www.jdsu.com/ProductLiterature/MPEG_Poster_lowrez.pdf <http://www.jdsu.com/ProductLiterature/MPEG_Poster_lowrez.pdf> and this "0.28pre” feature https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/classBouquetAssociationTable.html <https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/classBouquetAssociationTable.html> I think I have to be a bit patient….
Hope it gets implemented, and also the CAT will included, so I can select straight from the database which channels are usable. This takes care of deleting a lot of channels, then the sorting can start.
Also the link satellite to sourceid (as I have to do) is not that straightforward, since each satellite contains programs from many countries, so not a single xmltv source. Another script could solve that.

What would life be without challenges :-)