[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 18:58:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 07:48:11PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> >
> > Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So I came across this article at Neowin.net regarding a Windows 8 HDMI
> stick:
> http://www.neowin.net/news/intel-bay-trail-based-usb-stick-capable-of-running-windows-81-goes-on-sale
> > >
> > > In addition to the Windows stick, it mentions that both Microsoft and
> Mozilla are coming out with ChromeCast-style sticks of their own. I started
> to wonder... Is it time to throw away the dream of the $99 FE and look to
> devices like these instead? They would be low power, easy to setup and
> maintain (well, to plug into the tv), and cheaper than an entire computer.
> >
> > The standard response to such queries - which are very common these days
> - is :
> > While some of these may be able to play some of the media type, they
> generally have a number of downsides. The biggest of these is that to work,
> someone has to write the frontend to run on that platform.
> > After that, there are often restrictions on decoding (closed libraries,
> limited stream type support).
> > And then there are often significant restrictions - eg small memory
> sizes.
> >
> > So yes, for some of them it is probably possible to port the frontend.
> But it's going to take someone with the skills, knowledge, time, and most
> importantly desire to do it.
> >
> > Not using the Myth Frontend means not getting the Myth user experience.
> >

> Your standard response doesn't really work here - the device is an
> Intel IA processor (ok, it's in the Atom family but will run the x86 code
> without modification) and has Intel HD graphics (VAAPI)
>
> Here is a link to the datasheet for the processor
>
> https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-z36xxx-z37xxx-datasheet-vol-1.html

The data sheet for this processor states:

- Full HW acceleration for decode of H.264, MPEG2, MVC, VC-1, VP8, MJPEG
- Full HW acceleration for encode of H.264, MPEG2, MVC

The decode I knew about.  The encode is interesting for transcoding and
streaming MPEG2 content.  Does ffmpeg have any support for this?