[mythtv-users] Reviving a myth system after hardware failure on /var

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 7 08:23:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> Software RAID can work with partitions, but they need to be equally sized
> (or, it will make the data on each device use the size of the smallest
> device in the array). So you would "lose" the extra space in that it would
> not be included in the array. You could partition and use that space
> separately, though; it just wouldn't have the availability protection of
> the RAID. It may make sense to leave the extra space "fallow" until you
> have all the devices upgraded, then you could expand the partitions and
> grow the array and filesystem to take advantage of the new space. But if
> you really need the space, you could use the extra space on the larger
> drive by itself, or you could create an additional RAID array (possibly
> RAID 1 to mirror) as long as you had at least one other device the same
> size or larger. Starts to get a little complicated then, especially when
> you get rid of your smallest device and want to grow your main array. It's
> not horrible, just a bit more complex and you have to keep track of what
> you're doing and where your "active" data is.

Mmh, will have to think about it. It's attractive, sure, and sounds like it
would protect me from more failures, but smells of requiring a lot of
maintenance on upgrades. I don't shy away from sysadmin jobs when necessary
but, given that I already have the horrible geek disease of recording 10x
more things I'll ever have time to watch (which is where all these wasted
terabytes go), I need to keep in check the other geek tendency of spending
more time fiddling with the system than actually watching movies on it, if
you know what I mean ;-)