[mythtv-users] Reviving a myth system after hardware failure on /var

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 7 08:16:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:25 AM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 22:30:41 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >I have a bunch of drives in the machine and tend to upgrade them one by
> >one, when they fill up or fail, with whatever the largest affordable drive
> >is at the time of upgrade (nowadays 4 TB). So there will always be smaller
> >and larger drives in there.
>
> Actually, 6 TB drives are available at very reasonable prices.  I have
> a WD60EFRX (Western Digital 6 TB Red) in my system now.  The
> equivalent Green drive is also available and a bit cheaper, but
> actually draws more power than the Red model.  I would love to have
> the Hitachi 6 TB helium filled drives, but they are much too expensive
> and I do not really need that level of performance except maybe on my
> system drive (currently a 3 TB Hitachi HDS723030ALA640).

If I look on Amazon.co.uk today, the cheapest WD60EFRX is 208.47 GBP (but
not in stock), costing 34.75 GBP/TB. What I buy these days is the
STBV4000200 at 94.99 GBP (also not in stock, so comparing apples to
apples...), which works out at 23.75 GBP/TB. That's quite a bit cheaper
than the WD Red! Given the rate at which HD recordings eat the terabytes, I
always take the cheaper drives. I may not be doing the "redundant arrays"
part yet, but I'm sure going for "inexpensive" ;-)

NB these Seagate external drives have been the "cheapest GBP/TB" drives for
the past couple of years, in my research, ever since the 2 TB model. I
can't figure out their strategy but if I buy one of these, open it up and
take the bare drive inside, it works out cheaper than buying the drive on
its own. So I also have plenty of USB3 3.5" SATA enclosures with matching
power supplies ;-) They now make them up to 5 TB but 4 TB is currently the
sweet spot.