[mythtv-users] System hangs occasionally

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Nov 7 06:10:36 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 08:13 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>> Nov  6 06:09:01 ThinkCentre-M58p
> A machine of that vintage may have a number of
> issues.
>
> If you have not already done so, open it up,
> and clean out the dust bunnies.

When I got it used last year I had it open and it was free of lagomorphs
of the dust variety, but it won't hurt to open it up and blow it out again.

> Second,
> make sure all the fans are spinning.  Lastly,
> look for bulging caps on the planar and the
> power supply.

I'll check for bulging caps when I blow out any accumulated dust, the
power it up and watch to see that all the fans (two or three, I think)
are operating.

> Lastly, run memtest86+ for
> at least 4 hours.

Tomorrow morning it is.

Thanks for the reminder to look at the inside of the box. It is
basically out of site out of mind in the living room. It has room around
it for air to circulate, and is not near any major heat source, but
there is something in front of it so I don't see it unless I go over
there look for it.

I like it because of the size and shape of the box. It's not a tower,
but one of those boxes that sit horizontally on the desk. If I had to
replace it with a tower, even a short one, it would then become a part
of the living room decor. Not desirable.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens