[mythtv-users] Reviving a myth system after hardware failure on /var

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:30:41 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> But back to the OPs situation, it's a bit "post horse departed, closing of
> stable door" suggestion - but RAIDing the OS directories would be a great
> protection against this problem. On the first error, I think MD would have
> thrown the faulty drive out of the array (for each partition/array it's
> involved with as an error occurs in that partition) leaving the good drive
> running.
> Recovery from that is a matter of partitioning the new drive, and telling
> MD to use it - then MD takes care of rebuilding the data onto it from the
> good drive(s).

That's an interesting approach but I've never investigated software raid
yet.

If I do it over drives of different sizes, will I lose the extra space on
the bigger drive?
I have a bunch of drives in the machine and tend to upgrade them one by
one, when they fill up or fail, with whatever the largest affordable drive
is at the time of upgrade (nowadays 4 TB). So there will always be smaller
and larger drives in there.