[mythtv-users] MythGallery: selecting a favorite picture as directory thumb

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 6 22:11:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 15:49:54 -0000, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:

> The problem seems to be the call to GalleryViewHelper::LoadTreeData()
> which causes a swarm of SQL queries and Service API calls. Some
> directories are taking 30 seconds to load here.

I agree the SQL isn't optimal but it isn't significant here.
The service API is cumbersome and causing the ~5s delay between selecting
a large directory & starting to display it. I've fixed that - just waiting
on review.

The issue seems to be with the way it's using the mythuibuttonlist.
Something is causing it to continually redraw so all the images are being
repeatedly reloaded. With 30-40 images the effect is not that noticeable
but with lots of subfolders it gets exponentially worse. When loading a
screen of 112 pics I saw 70 buttonlist redraws.

Initially all the remote reads repeatedly fail, but delay the BE from
creating the thumbs. Later on the images are repeatedly re-read from the
FE cache. It actually does well to do all that in 30s!

I thought it might be a feature of the buttonlist but Mythmusic doesn't
experience it. It takes 7s to load 100 album covers (remotely) with a
single redraw. I'll investigate further.