[mythtv-users] Trademark Issue with "Packages - MythTV Official Wiki" and the repository is questionable for Debian users

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Thu Nov 6 02:49:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Packages shows Debian packages are available
for MythTV.  However the packages are not officially part of Debian [1],
and the site which was advertised as Debian Multimedia is known to break
libraries for Debian users [2].

The MythTV packages page shows the Debian logo and definitely left me
with the impression that it was officially part of Debian. It was a
trademark violation and the site owner was asked by Debian's project
leader Stefano Zacchiroli in 2012 to change the domain name.  I would
like to see it corrected on MythTV's site. [3]

1. http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-May/026678.html
2. http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-April/025867.html
3. https://www.debian.org/trademark
When You Can Use the Debian Trademarks Without Asking Permission
  1. You can use Debian trademarks to make true factual statements about Debian or communicate compatibility with your product truthfully.

I would have editid the wiki page, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Packages,
but I don't have permission.

Option 1: Remove the entry for the Debian packages.  Then after we have
some official Debian packages, link to it.  I favor this option.

Option 2: Remove the word Debian, and make it clear it is a third party
site asking for donations and it may break your Debian libraries or
worse.

Any comments?

I am looking into running a MythTV frontend on Debian's stable release
wheezy with the backend running Mythbuntu's .27 fixes branch from the
Launchpad PPA.  I'm still looking into how I might do that and
unfortunately I have more questions like Why isn't MythTV in the
official Debian archives yet and what do we need to do you get them
there...  I would think it wouldn't be too much work to use the
Mythbuntu packages in Debian, but then we would have other trademark
issues that require a license from Canonical...  Hopefully we can see
some official Debian MythTV packages by christmas, does anyone want to
help?

Let me be clear I am not accusing anyone of doing something
intentionally wrong.  I just want MythTV and Debian users to be able to
run reliable packages easily and not worry about these sometimes messy
trademark issues.

Thanks,
Chuck