[mythtv-users] Reviving a myth system after hardware failure on /var

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Wed Nov 5 07:35:54 UTC 2014

Am 05.11.2014 00:54, schrieb UB40D:

> If I use rsync instead of dd or dd_rescue, how do I make the new drive
> bootable? The MBR will be wrong. I guess after copying the files I'll
> have to boot cautiously from the old drive BUT mounting the right
> partitions on the new drive and then do some kind of grub-install...

I think you don't need to boot from the old drive, once you have copied
all files to the new one.

I don't know what distribution you are using. But with any xbuntu
install cd, you can "repair" an existing linux-installation (as you will
have on the new drive). It is an option of the text based installer and
will allow you to install grub on the new disk.

Eventually, you will have to adjust '/etc/fstab' with according uuids.
The command 'ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid' will list the uuids of all
partitions, and you can the use the result in '/etc/fstab'.