[mythtv-users] Back-end won't start after upgrade

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 3 20:26:28 UTC 2014

On 11/03/2014 03:15 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:

> I've skipped the mythplugins installation for my backend (hope that's
> ok) and am trying to restart my backend now.  I get a lot of odd
> messages, then things seem to hang.
>

> The first error below about DBHostName makes no sense.  My
> /root/.mythtv/config.xml is present and the DBHostName is set to
> "localhost".  Why is it complaining?  (I have a valid hostname set for
> the host in Linux)

Almost definitely because the (effective) user running mythbackend
doesn't have access to the /root/ directory structure--i.e. you're not
running mythbackend as root (which is a good thing since doing so isn't
required, and should really never be done).  Note that root may start
mythbackend (which I'm guessing is the case since HOME is set to /root),
but may specify a --user argument to drop privileges or may start the
process as a different user with sudo or su or ksu or whatever.

> The next error(s) seem to be about MySQL problems.

That are due to the fact that it doesn't have information about how to
connect to MySQL.

So, move your config.xml file to a location where the user running
mythbackend can access it, and ensure the HOME environment variable is
set appropriately.  (So, for example, put the config.xml in
/home/mythtv/.mythtv and set HOME to /home/mythtv before starting
mythbackend.)

Mike