[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 16:31:50 UTC 2014

John Moore (Compucom Systems Inc) <v-johmo at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I did not want network hacks to allow mythtv to work.  And that was what everyone kept giving me.

What you call a hack seems to be what the rest of the world considers normal networking operations. I don't recall anything suggested being a hack (other than the incorrect suggestion to use NAT/Masq entries).

> The best suggestions where those who said to spin up a dedicated media network.  What I have tried to explain is that in order for me to do so, I need more hardware and was looking for a stop gap till that hardware can be purchased in Feb.
>
> To Joe's comment about VLANS and switches.... I totally understand I don't NEED a new switch to spin up a new VLAN.  My Layer3 had 5 vlans already.  As far as its concern, I could have multiple VLANs on a single port if I so wished.  But I don't want to move cables around, and I don't want a port for my media vlan in the middle of my block of parents or kids jacks.

Let me translate that :
"I know I could do it, but I'm not prepared to make any changes whatsoever and the rest of the world has to work around my random restrictions."

> An everyone was ignoring my wants for my network an providing me the easiest solution for them to provide which was network forwarding or some form of network hack.

These were **NOT** hacks. These were standard networking operations. They are only "hacks" because they don't fit in with your "unusual" view of how a network should operate.

> If everyone would have said "Its not possible"

The reason people didn't say it's not possible is because what you want to achieve is perfectly possible. It's only the way you want to achieve it that's not practical.

> All I was trying to do was explain my network (which is my learning lab an playground) an I know is overly complex.

It has to be said that if you insist on running a complicated setup then you have to take some of the "hassle factor" yourself. The complexity of your network **AND** your arbitrary limitations on changes and security model are the only things stopping MythTV working fine for the task you are wanting it to do.

Here's an analogy. Some things I do on my home network would be a lot easier if I had multiple static IPv4 addresses. But I can't afford to pay out "much more" for an internet connection that offers that as an option.
I could moan and whine that my ISP is "bad" because they don't offer what I "need" to fit my view of how I want my network to look - or I can be pragmatic and accept that I *can* do "near enough" what I want, just not exactly how I want to do it.

"don't want to move cables around", oh dear, it's such an imposition that you might move a few patch leads along a few ports on the switch !

In summary - your basic requirement is to allow access to MythTV from two different subnets while maintaining security between those subnets. You were given several options to achieve that.
It's only the "but without touching the network and without breaching my overly paranoid security model" that stops it working.

I say overly paranoid because you eshew standard security methods which are themselves way more than most (virtually all ?) home networks impose. I pity your kids to have a father that paranoid !

> Since no one as responded to my comments about my getting off the group (even to me directly), I will stay on.  I am betting I can learn some new things, an at some point provide something as well.

Didn't see that.
But this is **Not** a group, it's a **mailing list**. When you signed up you will have had a welcome email telling you how to do various things - such as unsubscribing. In the headers on every list message is :

Unfortunately most mail clients hide these.

But also in every message you get from the list is this :