[mythtv-users] converting mp4 and trans coding failing

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:35:14 UTC 2014

Hoi Michael,

> On 10/30/2014 06:00 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Thursday, October 30, 2014, 10:52:36 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I your right  I added this to /etc/local.conf the error went away
>>> LC_COLLATE=C
>>> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> I also added looses trans coding option in mythtv-setup and I will see if that helps.
>>> Is there script that will conver my recordings to mkv or mp4 and
>>> put them in proper folder based on show name and season.
>> I don't know, but it also complains about nl_NL.UTF-8 which it
>> shouldn't and all works OK.

> No, it is not complaining about 'nl_NL' and if it is complaining, all
> doesn't work OK (you just haven't tried doing the things that won't work
> with a bad codeset).

> The message means you haven't properly specified 'nl_NL.UTF-8' in the
> environment in which the MythTV application is running.  So the first
> thing to check is that it's specified in the environment running (all)
> MythTV applications (i.e. the environment set up by your system start
> scripts/service and/or the environment set up by login for the user that
> (directly) runs MythTV applications or the environment set up by the
> script that runs the MythTV applications as the mythtv user (for example
> in a distro with a mythfrontend and mythfrontend.real)).

> If all looks good there, then you're probably specifying LANG as
> 'nl_NL.UTF-8', but also have LC_* variables set.  The LANG environment
> variable is the old way that language (and to some extent, codeset)
> information was specified.  However, since it's just one value, the
> modern approach of using LC_* variables (to allow specifying different
> values for different pieces) was developed.  If you've specified
> LC_CTYPE (set directly or using LC_ALL) and specified LANG, the LANG is
> ignored since the LC_* variables are preferred.  LANG is just a
> (basically deprecated) fallback when no LC_* variables are specified.

> Mike

On gentoo I use eselect locale to set the language etc. I assume the
gentoo eselect utility sets it right. Also it was set on install, but
still I see all the time complaints in the log. I for a long time now
just ignore them, knowing it IS set right.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop