[mythtv-users] Firewire can record channels that Homerun Prime Cannot

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 22:21:09 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> Also, I did a quick search. It appears you used to be able to downgrade HDHR
> products,

You have always been able to downgrade the HDHR (non-Prime)
products.

> but a few years back they implemented a lock to prevent it from
> happening.

Right about the time of the Prime.  For the Primes, that has
always been intended to be true (it is a CableLabs mandate,
for not only the Prime, but any certified product, and any
CableCARD itself (I am talking about the crypto part of the
products, not the operating system, for products that differentiate
the firmwares) in order to prevent "downgrade" attacks,
although there was a (apparently timing attack) method
where that was possible for the Prime for some versions if
you got "lucky" (or you spent time to analyze the stream)).

<doom_and_gloom_conjecture>
> Very unfortunate. I'll make sure to NEVER "upgrade" mine.

Not to worry, there is a method for the MSO to require the
firmware to be upgraded for continued operations of the
device.  I would not be at all surprised for it to be rolled out
to all CableCARDs once the entire clarification processes
regard the interpretation(s) of the new rules (and the fiasco
that was Motorola TA certs) has gone through the various
appeal processes and new production firmware is ready.
Give the speed that an average MSO operates, that might
easily mean over a year.
</doom_and_gloom_conjecture>