[mythtv-users] Firewire can record channels that Homerun Prime Cannot

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Nov 1 17:34:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) <cats22 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> There are new rules at play here.
> A recent standards change causes the cci "unrestricted" setting to pass
> through as "none", with cgms flags in play. If cgms is set to
> "protected-copyonce" you cannot record that channel.
> If you are using homerun prime firmware 20140604 you are OK, it is
> ignoring the cgms flags.
> Evidently that is a bug, earlier versions of the firmware as well as the
> newest version 20141024beta2 do not ignore the cgms flag.
> I have firmware 20141024beta2. I now have USA network and FX (maybe
> others also) showing like this:
> vch=763 name=USAHD auth=subscribed cci=none cgms=protected-copyonce
> I can no longer record or watch those channels with Homerun Prime.
> I can still watch and record them through mythtv with Firewire from the
> cable box. I wonder how long that will continue to work.

Yeah, I posted about this issue in another thread back in september. And I
had a feeling at that time that the Prime would end up being "fixed" (more
like broken, from my perspective) to honor CGMS flags.

So 2 options:
1) With the prime, can you downgrade your firmware? I know the Ceton cards
let you downgrade firmware (though not the hardware image), but not sure
about the prime. If you can, I have a copy of the 20140604 firmware I can
share with you, and it ignore the CGMS flags.

2) What cable provider do you have? I have WOW, and they have a solution.
If you contact them (WOW_Dan from the dslreports forum helped me with
this), they can lock your cablecard to the older firmware from before CISCO
implemented this change. Your cablecard will then install the old firmware
and you'll be all set. I don't know if comcast can/will do the same.

--
Ron Frazier