[mythtv-users] Twin DVB-S2 PCIe device

Gavin Whitehead gavin at alabastercranium.demon.co.uk
Sat May 31 21:24:51 UTC 2014

On 29/05/2014 10:38, Scott Moncrieff wrote:
> I also use a TBS6981 dual dvb-s2 and the open source drivers are
> included in the current kernel. All you need to do to get it working
> is get the firmware from the TBS site and copy it to /lib/firmware/
>
> I spent a lot of time trying to make the TBS drivers work without any
> luck.
>

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Mike Bibbings
> <mike.bibbings at gmail.com <mailto:mike.bibbings at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 29/05/14 07:35, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         I want to upgrade mythbackend with a double DVB-S2 device, I
>         want to
>         use the PCIe interface for it.
>
>         I search some cheap devices:
>
>             - DVBSky S952: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVBSky_S952
>
>             - TeVii S480: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TeVii_S480
>
>         Anyone has this devices? Any recommendation?
>
>         I want to add it in a HP ProLiant MicroServer (150 W).
>
>         Regards.
>
>     I use the TBS 6981, originally with the TBS linux drivers, but am
>     now using the open source drivers in the latest kernels (3.12 and
>     on from memory).
>
>     The TBS linux drivers do work, but use a very old version of the
>     media software stack, which can cause problems if you have devices
>     from other suppliers.
>
>     Mike

Scott, I've just upgraded from Xubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 and tried to get
my TBS 6981 to work with the kernel drivers (3.13.0.x).  No luck.
/var/log/syslog reported that the the 'on demand' firmware didn't load.

Can you let me know what steps you went through to get this working?
And what Os are you running?

Gavin