[mythtv-users] Time-Warner Cable/upcoming top-to-bottom channel reorg

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri May 30 14:16:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2014 05:01 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>
>>>   If a channel with a given xmltvid disappears,
>>> delete it.
>>
>> Which, unfortunately, does really ugly things to any existing
>> recordings referencing that channel.
>

> No.  It does one of 2 things:
>
> 1) If a new channel is created with the same channel ID, then any recordings
> that were from the original channel will show as having come from the new
> channel.
> 2) If no channel with that channel ID exists, the Watch Recordings screen
> and similar will show the recording as having come from "#1021" or whatever
> the channel ID is.

Exactly.  This is my definition of "really ugly".

> It has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the integrity of the data--

I think that depends on what you count as "the data".  If you exclude
"What channel was this recorded on?" from your definition of "the
data", then of course there's no effect on the integrity of the data.

> And, as soon as you watch
> and delete the recording--or if you plan to keep it long term, move it to
> Video Library--it won't even be a display issue anymore.

It depends on where you look.

If I go to my backend's mythweb status page, my top 10 recorded
channel list is complete nonsense due to all the channel deletions
over the last 10 years.

Is it a showstopper for me?  No, of course not, but it's definitely
ugly to see stuff like this.

Eric