[mythtv-users] low-power FE: AMD now better than Nvidia?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:28:27 UTC 2014

On 24 May 2014 05:47, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:
> Recently I do some tests on Brazos (E350) and I must say for me FOSS AMD
> support for video reaches nearly Nvidia level (which is reference for me).
> HW video decode works for all content I tested. But what surprise me is DI
> quality.

Yes. That's my experience with VDPAU on AMD. It was extremely good.

There are issues with multi-screen setup however, sometimes my 2nd
screen is dropped, sometimes it's the main screen that is dropped and
the 2nd one becomes primary etc..

it occurs whenever I launched an OpenGL app (mythtv or xbmc).

But video playback wise after that was excellent

This was done on an Apple 27" iMac with an AMD 6970M graphic card,
with OpenGL painter chose

> Visually I can't see difference between Nvidia 2xTemporal and AMD 2xHW.
> What surprise!

no support for temporal spatial however yet...

> All this was on FOSS without any monolithic BLOBs like Nvidia proprietary
> drivers.
> Moreover, AMD hasn't some visual glitches with notification GL animations
> which Nvidia has so I can say AMD works for me even better than Nvidia - go
> figure?!??!

never seen those with nvidia drivers, but if you're talking about
system notifications, I have those disabled so I can't tell then.