[mythtv-users] low-power FE: AMD now better than Nvidia?

merc1984 at f-m.fm merc1984 at f-m.fm
Fri May 23 21:29:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014, at 12:47, Warpme wrote:
> Recently I do some tests on Brazos (E350) and I must say for me FOSS AMD
> support for video reaches nearly Nvidia level (which is reference for
> me).
> HW video decode works for all content I tested. But what surprise me is
> DI quality.
> Visually I can't see difference between Nvidia 2xTemporal and AMD 2xHW.
> What surprise!
> All this was on FOSS without any monolithic BLOBs like Nvidia
> proprietary drivers.
> Moreover, AMD hasn't some visual glitches with notification GL
> animations which Nvidia has so I can say AMD works for me even better
> than Nvidia - go figure?!??!
> Taking into account that Brazos can do full DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD
> bit streaming - it can become to be platform of choice for low-power FE.
> I'm really surprised....

I've been running Intel Haswell (E3-1265L v3) with
xserver-xorg-video-intel almost since Linus gave nVidia the finger.
Full opengl menus, and hardware decode.

Flawless, except when Debian decides to install fglrx drivers during
dist-upgrade, which step on it...

My whole (large) server draws 110w when I'm watching recordings... and
that's with 3 WD Green 2TB drives, a WD Black 512GB, and Teac BD
slot-loader.  Not to mention, silent.  Understand, this is a Silverstone
GD02-MT
(http://www.overclockers.com/silverstone-grandia-gd02mt-case-review/)
with Asus ATX mobo.