[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Differentiate TV Shows From Movies

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Thu May 22 15:57:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> I use the following recommended directory structure:
> Show Name/Season XX/showname.SXXEYY
>
> Files are *always* appearing in the order of episode #.
>
> Even if we had a split between TV and Movie dedicated grabber (like
> XBMC does), it wouldn't find for /01-01 - View from the Villa.mpg
>
> The directory name the file is found has no bearing on the grabber.
> 01-01 - View from the Villa.mpg
>
> doesn't contain the show name, how is it supposed to find it and guess
> where it's coming from?
>
> Just follow the wiki, it's all there

Forgive me, but the method you suggest seems to be a waste of filename
space.  You already have the name of the show in the path.  Why does it
also need to be in the filename too?  This is something I go through with
music as well:

/tank/music/music/Album Artist/ReleaseDate - Album Name/Track# - Artist
Name - Title.ext
/tank/music/Christmas/Album Artist/ReleaseDate - Album Name/Track# - Artist
Name - Title.ext

There is a justifiable duplication here.  Sometimes the track artist is
different than the album artist.  Lots of times, that's not the case.
 However, in this example:

/tank/videos/TV Shows/Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Season 01/01x01 - 33.mkv

The only duplication here is the Season 01/01.  This duplication is
necessary due to how most grabbers interpret SeasonxEpisode.  Most grabbers
will interpret the entire path to get the correct series name.  What's the
need to have an additional:

/tank/videos/TV Shows/Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Season 01/Battlestar
Galactica.01x01 - 33.mkv

That's just extra, unnecessary characters in an already very long file
name.  Heck, it could be easier since there's already a Season 01 to make
the filename:

/tank/videos/TV Shows/Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Season 01/01 - 33.mkv

These are just some ideas.