[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Differentiate TV Shows From Movies

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 22:23:56 UTC 2014

>> On 22 May 2014, at 6:21 am, merc1984 at f-m.fm wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 21, 2014, at 13:34, Mark Perkins wrote:
>> Mine sort correctly by season then episode and are not jumbled, not sure
>> how you get yours to be mixed. Are you sorting by file size or date or
>> something?
>>
>> The titles (for a series) are all identical obviously so don't impact
>> sort order. Remember title is the series name (ie Danger Man in your
>> case), subtitle is the episode name (ie View from the Villa). If you have
>> multiple series in a single folder then they should be grouped
>> alphabetically but otherwise still ordered by season / episode.
>
> Earlier in this thread you said:
> --------------------------------------
> Essentially for a TV show I have:
>
> /Path/to/TV/"Show Title"/"Season ##"/"Title - S##E## - Subtitle.mp4"
>
> Where /Path/to/TV/ is a folder defined in my Mythvideo storage group.
> --------------------------------------
> This means episodes will be scrambled up by title instead of
> season/episode.

This is simply not correct.

If the confusion is over the "/Path/to/TV/" part the intention was to say that your folder path can be whatever you like - as long as it is in your storage group.

See the following naming example or the ones provided previously. I have not fudged the order, this is just a copy / paste listing of the folder contents using 'ls'.

$ ls
The Simpsons - S06E01 - Bart of Darkness.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E02 - Lisas Rival.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E03 - Another Simpsons Clipshow.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E04 - Itchy & Scratchy Land.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E05 - Sideshow Bob Roberts.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E06 - Treehouse of Horror V.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E07 - Barts Girlfriend.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E08 - Lisa on Ice.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E09 - Homer Badman.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E10 - Grampa vs Sexual Inadequacy.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E11 - Fear of Flying.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E12 - Homer the Great.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E13 - And Maggie Makes Three.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E14 - Barts Comet.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E15 - Homie the Clown.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E16 - Bart vs Australia.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E17 - Homer Vs Patty and Selma.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E18 - A Star is Burns.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E19 - Lisas Wedding.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E20 - Two Dozen and One Greyhounds.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E21 - The PTA Disbands.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E22 - Round Springfield.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E23 - The Springfield Connection.mp4
The Simpsons - S06E24 - Lemon of Troy.mp4

> Anyway, I give up.  For some reason Title/Subtitle does not work, but
> setting Title and Season/Episode does.

Correct, my understanding is that MythTV requires title and season / episode number which it will extract from a properly named file name.

> I have to go in and modify the
> inetref for 90 shows for Danger Man alone, so Myth will fetch the
> metadata.

No, provided the file names are properly named MythTV will fetch the inetref itself.

> Then I have other series' to do.  And it seems I'll never get
> the episode photos even though it's in thetvdb, so have to do with the
> season picture for all shows in a season.

Correct, as Karl says patches for pulling episode level artwork from TheTVDB appreciated.

> I tried to suggest improvement to Myth, but it'll apparently never
> happen.  At least I tried.

MythTV already does what you have initially suggested.