[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Differentiate TV Shows From Movies

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed May 21 15:20:18 UTC 2014

On 5/21/2014 11:01 AM, Fred Hamilton wrote:
> A semi-related question: I ripped all my Star Trek TOS blu ray
> episodes and put them in videos and the metadata for each was
> correctly found - everything worked perfectly.
>
> But for some reason that I will never understand, the episodes are
> sorted by original air date, which makes no sense to me for lots of
> reasons ("Where No Man Has Gone Before" is obviously the first
> episode, the show's people/history are developed/evolved in the right
> order, etc.) - the sort order I prefer is production order.  (Firefly
> is an even more extreme example of the air date order being terribly
> wrong but they changed it to production order for the DVDs and other
> releases.)
>
> So my question is: Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could
> manually customize the sort order but keep the metadata correct?  I
> originally had the SxxExx file names with the Exx numbers in
> production order, so they were sorted correctly but the metadata for
> most of them were wrong (except for the episodes where prod and air
> order happened to be the same).  I'm willing to put some time into
> this, but would like to be as efficient as possible.

MythTV only supports one episode sequence, currently, and if you wish to
be able to use the metadata grabbers, that sequencing must match the
primary sequence found on TheTVDb.com, which is typically going to be
the order in which it was aired.  If you wish to customize the sort
order properly, you need to add an additional database table and some
additional code to break episode numbers out of the common table,
allowing you to select what sort order to prefer.