[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri May 16 08:12:24 UTC 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 00:23, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 15:43 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 05/15/2014 03:26 PM, John Morris wrote:
>>> Better to let
>>> the TV evenly scale 720p60 3X to 2160p vs 1.5x to 1080p and then 2x in
>>> the TV.
>>
>> That's only presuming the TV's built-in scaler (and video
>> processor/processing chain) is a) capable (without glitches and
>> occasional frame drops--which most "bleeding edge" TVs tend to exhibit
>> until processing the new, bigger, better video content is so simple that
>> TV manufacturers can buy dirt-cheap processors that can keep up) and b)
>> better than what MythTV can do.
>
> Which was why I added the 'when they get mass deployment' part, but I do
> suspect it is also true that if you drop the coin for a top of the line
> Sony 4K set now that it probably does a pretty good job of upscaling…

The recent models, yes, the original Sony 85” monster, not so wonderful, while 2160p looked great 1080i scaled was pretty awful, ok the 2160p was uncompressed but even later tests with heavily compressed jpeg2000 2160p looked better than uncompressed 1080i scaled by the TV.

Theoretically scaling from original format directly to 2160p would be better, especially de-interlacing and scaling from 480i, 576i, 1080i directly to 2160p as there is already a great deal of interpolation going on with 1080i that has interfield motion, i.e. sports.

I suspect very few people are going to want to watch any 480i on their shiny new “4k” TV…

I plan to get a 3840x2160 monitor as soon as the prices are reasonable and I will be using it for “4k/UHDTV” tests. I suspect that Nvidia cards I can buy today will decode 1080i to 2160p50/60 with VDPAU over display port but I don’t see any HDMI 2.0 ports yet for driving a 4k tv at 2160p50/60. Not that I have any intention of buying 4k for the main TV, even at 88” projected I don’t see the point.

Andre