[mythtv-users] fire tv as mythtv frontend

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:15:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> I think that the new six tuner HDHR Prime demoed at CES in January is the
> only new model that will NOT include a H.264 transcoder.  Or, did I miss
> something?

I believe you missed something.

For "market differentiation" (i.e. price points), SiliconDust
said there will be four tuner OCUR models with, and without,
transcoding capability(*).  The transcoding chip they have
chosen can support up to four streams, so that is the limit
in one box (there is a lower cost version of the chip with
only two streams, which is probably being used in the new,
shipping two tuner (non OCUR) transcoding model, which
also, btw, comes in a non-transcoding version).  The six
tuner model is probably targeted toward a competitor
in the OCUR market (you think?)

Gary

(*) Not everyone needs transcoding, and some may
not want to pay for it.  On the other hand, marketing
says you introduce a couple of products, which can
get someone to look at your line, and then up-sell
them the more expensive model.