[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed May 14 16:32:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Preston Crow
<pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> Well, yes, but I'm still running a single combined FE/BE system that is
> quiet enough for our living room, so those options aren't going to work very
> well considering the aesthetics, noise, and space constraints.

Aesthetics are really a matter of opinion.  Unless you're living on a
submarine, I'm guessing you have enough space for a case that can hold
multiple drives if you really think about it.

The first time I bought a case specifically for my backend (which is
also in my living room) I got an "HTPC" case.  In retrospect, that was
a mistake.  My current case cost $29 with free shipping and, if I can
recall correctly, can hold 6 3.5" and 3 5.0" drives.

> Moving from 3TB with no data protection to 6TB or more with RAID

RAID is not data protection, it's high availability. If you want data
protection, you need backups.

I don't feel the need for high availability, nor am I overly stressed
at the potential loss of recordings, so I'd advise against RAID for
typical MythTV installations.

Eric