[mythtv-users] OT: Chip&Pin in the US

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:29:49 UTC 2014

On 5/13/14, 5:22 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
>> I don't know how these people manage to tie their shoes...
>>
>> Oh wait, they have assistants for that.
> No, they have contracts with the beltway bandits
> for the planning of the project for the tying of the
> shoes appliance, and the follow up contract for
> auditing the books of the shoe tying appliance
> manufacturer to insure that it was made in the
> USA.  And then their will be a contract for
> training in the use of, and ongoing maintenance,
> of the shoe tying appliance.  And the follow up
> contract for comparing the actual results from
> the device with the ideal shoe tying appliance.
> And the follow up contract for the next generation
> shoe tying appliance project plan.  And so on
> and so on.  Somewhere in there, the official at
> the agency who choose that contractor will join
> the firm at 500% of their current government salary.

You forgot the stock options, that lower the face salary to less eyebrow
raising levels.  ;)
Or the eventual return to government service, after faithfully capturing
the regulatory mechanisms, to then take a leadership role in government
regulation of those very services and hence, further deregulating them
in favor of their former employer.

After I retired from the military, I did contract for a bit. I'd tell
you more, but the noise from the black helicopter outside is distracting.
It's what one gets for moving close to a black helicopter (as well as
assorted tan and green ones) factory.*     ;)

*Really, I *do* live near a helicopter plant.