[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:54:19 UTC 2014

On 5/13/14, 4:49 PM, Andre Newman wrote:
> On 13 May 2014, at 22:42, Stephen P. Villano <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/14, 4:35 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>> Due in the U.S. by 2035.  I'll be able to pay for it with my new chip
>>> & pin credit card.
>>>

>>> Going OT here, but the chip & pin CC thing in the US boggles me. We;ve had them in Canada for years. Considering the economies of scale (and that massive Target hack) you think it'd be a no brainer.

>> As you said, a no-brainer. Something present in US businesses *is* a state of no-brain. Case in point, Target and multiple hacks of retailers since the Target hack was reported.
>> US businesses see spending a nickle to make a quarter is bad. Better to spend nothing, hope not to lose the bankroll and make that quarter before the big loss hits.
> When chip & pin was introduced here it was primarily an opportunity for the card companies to bring in new terms and conditions making the retailer much more liable for card fraud than before. There wasn’t much choice but one of the Garage chains (gas stations) found some technical problem and took a stand against it for a year or so.
>
> A friend who’s software team handles till systems and therefore card clearing for a very large supermarket here commented that the technology was ok, nothing special but the new T&Cs were spectacular(ly bad for them).
>
> Andre

They're not the be all and end all, security wise, but they're an added
stumbling block for thieves.
BTW, Target is rolling out chip and card cards now, replacing their
compromised cards and new issue cards.

As for liability, Target had just passed their PCI audit. So, who is now
liable? Likely Target *and* the company that certified them as PCI
compliant.