[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue May 13 20:34:02 UTC 2014

On 13.05.2014 22:08, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 13 May 2014, at 21:44, Gary Buhrmaster<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>>> But it's easy to find 3TB HDDs for $99.99 (or approximately $0.033/GB).
>>
>> And I just happened to see that a local retailer is selling
>> 4TB HDDs for $129 (after rebate), or $.03225/GB.
>>
>> The one sure thing about disk prices is that absence of
>> another flood in Thailand (and lack of adequate preparation
>> for sourcing of the head assemblies), the prices will go down
>> in the future.
>
> They need to, UHDTV is coming… sooner than most think.

its coming to Youtube, but thats about it...

Just keep in mind that big cinema is 2k, so there is almost no old
content to convert to UHDTV and UHD-Disk (no "buy all movies again" for you)

Here's the short list of old content to convert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films

Also notice that most mastering is still done in 2k...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema#Criticism_and_concerns

Also notice, regarding bandwidth and quality
"The Digital cinema servers play with far greater bandwidth over
domestic 'HD' which is what makes the difference in quality."

Regards,
Karl