[mythtv-users] What to check/change when changing LAN subnet

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue May 13 07:06:32 UTC 2014

Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> True, but when I get a new firewall/router, especially in a hurry because the old one died unexpectedly, things get hectic and with me, that usually means problems.  The last time I replaced the router, I ended up with one that didn't support DHCP/DNS (no openWRT) and had to scramble to get things reset because it defaulted to the 192.168.1.X subnet.  If I'm already using the standard 192.169.1.X subnet, switching routers is less involved. I'd rather be watching TV. ;-)

Speaking as someone contemplating the move the other way round, ie away from 192.168.0 which was the default for the first router I had, how about a bit of forward thinking. If your router is that unreliable, then get another cheap one now and configure it. Or, use one ofyour Linux machines as a router and get all the benefits of that - add Shorewall as an easy to use firewall "appliance" and you'll wonder how you ever managed with some crappy and limited CPE router !

OK, my network isn't the typical home network, but I have a guest VM (under Xen) that just runs a router. At work I have to deal with customers' routers - and I usually end up muttering about how crap the diagnostics and logging on them is - some worse than others, but none of them good !