[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net
Mon May 12 18:07:45 UTC 2014

On 05/12/14 14:04, Will Dormann wrote:

> On May 12, 2014 1:43 PM, "Jim Oltman" <jim.oltman at gmail.com
> <mailto:jim.oltman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > May I ask why nVidia is a requirement?  Why not a lower power Intel NUC?
>
> It's my understanding that vdpau still can't be beat.  My poor little
> atom has been happily handling HD h.264 for years without breaking a
> sweat.  And that's because the gpu is doing the heavy lifting.
>
> Based on other threads,  alternatives like Intel graphics can be
> coerced. into working,  but you still may end up with artifacts like
> tearing or dropped frames that are most noticeable in scenes with
> horizontal panning.  Which is unacceptable for me.  Working with video
> over the years has tuned my vision to be very aware of these things.  :-/
>
> Is this still the case,  or have other technologies caught up with vdpau?

There have been a lot of discussions on this very topic in other threads
as of late.

A lot of the talk is about which deinterlacing algorithms you can use.
Someone expressed concern about decoding more complex audio streams on
low-power CPUs.

What I haven't heard about is the ability to play back interlaced
output.  I have an old CRT HDTV that needs a real 1080i input.  Can
Intel graphics generate a 1080i signal that is properly synced to the video?